Friday, August 27, 2010

Sanctifiers of Souls, Aflame with Love

I came across a "Prayer for Seminarians" that I'm taking the liberty of revising for UU divinity school students as follows:
"May we become possessors of wisdom and sanctifiers of souls, steeped in humility and aflame with love for all of creation."

I especially love the "sanctifiers of souls" part.

As upholders of the inherent worth and dignity of every person and respect for the interdependent web of all existence, I do believe we are doing the work of sanctifying souls.  It's accomplished, I think, by holding up a mirror that reflects who we are and how the world is and reminding everyone that what they see in the mirror is sacred and that all who gather in front of that mirror are on holy ground.

And who does not want to be aflame with love?  When we burn in this way, we are not consumed but serve as beacons for all who are seeking to open themselves and the world to transformation.  Blessed be.