Sunday, July 11, 2010

Finding a Place Where You Belong

I am so thrilled finally to have found a place where I really and truly feel like I belong.  Intellectually, I knew that I belonged here, but now I am really feeling it.  I was worried that the Contemporary Paganism class might be a weird introduction to divinity school, but it was wonderful.  I love and respect everyone that was in this class, and, as I have noted elsewhere, Margot Adler is fabulous.  I always thought she would be an interesting person, based on her NPR reporting, but she's more than I expected in very many ways.

One of our most interesting discussions today centered on the differences between "historic truth" and "narrative truth."  Several historians have noted (quite justifiably) that some of the contemporary Pagans play a bit fast and loose with the facts, especially about how the movement came into being and whether or not it can really trace its roots back to the dawn of time, as some claim.  On the other hand, literal truth has less importance in the realm of myth and ritual.  There's a tension between the two, but it is possible to have one foot in each world--or maybe to hop back and forth with both feet from one world to the other.

Anyway, I am happy and looking forward to my Arts and Aesthetics in Ministry class, which starts tomorrow.  I'll close with one of the (many) chants we did in class.  This one's dedicated to my classmates.

Listen, listen, listen to my heart's song.
Listen, listen, listen to my heart's song.

I will never forget you, I will never forsake you.
I will never forget you, I will never forsake you . .