Friday, July 23, 2010

Shared Experience

It's been a bit of a rough landing here in the real world after breathing the rarefied air of divinity school.  So, what was it about my experience at Meadville that made it feel so alive to me?  And what can I do now to make every moment holy?

Here's what I brought (or tried to bring) to the experience in Chicago: an open heart and an open mind, a willingness to do pretty much whatever was asked of me, the expectation that something special might happen, and an immense sense of gratitude for the opportunity.

My classmates, I think, brought pretty much the same thing.

And therein lies the magic.

I wish I could get everyone at work to join hands and do a spiral dance with me.  I wish I could look each person that I encounter each day straight in the eyes and tell them that they have my love and respect (and that they could do the same for me).  I wish that I could trust everyone (and the world) enough to drop my fear of making a fool of myself.  I wish that I could say, "Look at this!" and everyone would look and see what I see.

I wish I could open up like a flower in a field of flowers, full of life and light, but still aware of my own smallness, grounded in the moist, rich darkness of the earth.

Here's how I'll work on getting there: keeping my eyes (and heart and mind) open while prying at every crack that seems to let the light in.

May it be so!